Tiles & Backsplashes: Kitchen Tiles & Backsplashes
Adding tiles and backsplashes to your kitchen wall is a great way to add personality, drama or sophistication to your kitchen, in addition to protecting the walls above your cooktop and sink. You may like a certain pattern and color, but are unsure if it will match your cabinets or countertops. We have a variety of options and can help you select the perfect backsplash to complement and enhance your kitchen.
Choosing a Backsplash
5 Day Kitchens™ offers over 35 professionally design concept boards at our design center. These design boards showcase countertops, cabinet colors, flooring and backsplashes to get you started in your design process. Instead of seeing only a single tile you will be able to see an 18″ section of how the backsplash will look on your wall, and its ability to coordinate with countertops, cabinets and other areas of your kitchen. Your design consultant will be with you throughout the selection process and will be able to help you select the best backsplash to fit your style.
A backsplash can add personality to your kitchen. Create a focal point with a beautiful eye catching design or mosaic. The area above your range or stove top is a great place to be creative with your backsplash. Even a simple backsplash can add beauty and charm to your kitchen. Bringing the tile to the bottom of the upper cabinets adds an element of style to the empty space. Use bold colors and tile the whole wall to create and eye catching piece.
Types of Backsplashes
There are endless options out there to create a unique backsplash.
- Tile – Tiling is a common way to highlight your backsplash. There are a variety of tile materials you can use such as porcelain, ceramic, stone, or metal. Tiling can be simple or more embellished. Glazed ceramic tile is a popular traditional material. Ceramic and porcelain tiles generally have a non-porous glaze finish. This makes them easier to clean and less likely to stain than tiles without this finish. Tone-on-tone, for example, marble tiles above marble slab countertops complement each other in a beautiful, subtle way.
- Mosaic – You can create a more elaborate version of a tile backsplash with a mosaic. Use it to create a picture, pattern, or display a variety of colors.
- Mural – Displaying a type of image for your backsplash can be similar to a mosaic picture, but is generally created with larger tiles.
- Plastic Laminate/Thermoplastic – A simple form of backsplash that can be cut and fastened to the wall in thousands of colors and patterns. The material is very durable and easy to clean. Thermoplastic materials have the ability to mimic the look of embossed materials.
- Stone – Stone can provide an alluring, nature feel. Stone is porous and can be difficult to clean if does not have a finish over it.
- Metal – Metal backsplashes can be in tile, sheet, or panel form. It can also be made from stainless steel, tin, copper or more. Stainless steel can create a special atmosphere, almost restaurant feel to your kitchen.
- Glass – Glass is a unique addition to your kitchen. It is easy to clean and durable and can be available in tiles or panels. Glass can come in different hues and can complement a variety of materials. Use translucent glass to add elegance to your kitchen.
- Solid surface– Using a slab of material can be a simple yet dramatic backsplash option.
Things to Consider
- Is this a permanent or temporary design? You want to choose a design and style you will like for a long time.
- Does this material require a lot of maintenance? Is it durable?
- Consider how easy the material is to clean. Think about if your backsplash will get dirty in your kitchen environment.
- Use under cabinet lighting in your kitchen to highlight your backsplash.
- If you have limited counter space and will be storing appliances at the back of the counter, make sure your backsplash is at least 15 to 18 inches high.
With so many options and abilities to heighten your kitchen, it maybe be difficult to decide. You can be creative with your backsplash and add personality and style to your kitchen. Let your 5 Day Kitchens™ design consultant help you select a backsplash that adds to your kitchen while being functional with your lifestyle.